Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Another sign of the times

Yesterday's run to the grocery store was more of a supplies run than a quick one-off. So instead of the $5 food pantry or animal shelter donation bag, I grabbed a $10 one. I've been noticing lately that the checkout folks have actually been thanking me for doing that, which they didn't do, say, a year a go. I sort'a wondered why. Yesterday I had my answer: After the cashier thanked me the second time, I covered my twinge of embarrassment by saying, "Well, thank you guys for making it easy to do that." "Not many people do it anymore," he replied with palpable sadness.

I loaded my bags into the trunk for the drive home and climbed into the driver's seat. Which is when I noticed the mini-booklet that someone had slipped into the passenger's side window I'd cracked to keep the interior from overheating. You guessed it: A religious tract. Paraphrasing to the back, I can begin a new life in Christ if I
  1. Read my Bible every day.
  2. Talk to God in prayer.
  3. Tell others about Jesus.
  4. Worship and serve in a Christian church.
  5. "As Christ's representative in a needy world," show my "love and concern" for others.
Dudes, you have the priorities exactly backwards. Here I am, an infidel non-believer in a supposedly Christian nation, among the small minority willing to help fellow creatures when it's friggin' impossible not to notice the means to do so every time I buy groceries.

Do me a favor, peeps: The next time you talk to God, tell him that some manna would come in especially handy just now. Or at least he could send junior with some loaves and fishes. It's not that I mind carrying the ball--I'd do that in any case. That's just how I'm wired. But I do resent that so many on the benches and sidelines won't even get on the playing field--but won't give me credit for the points I score, just because I don't take my orders from their coach.