Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Wading in the Rubicon

Gack: I just authorized the expenditure of roughly a week's net income on a set of graphics for my forthcoming foray into indie software development. Which commits me to this crazy scheme in a way that a hundred bucks for domain hosting doesn't. I'm not gambling half so much as Caesar, but it still makes me slightly queasy.

37Signals' blog this morning has a bunch of General Patton quotes and the opening "pep-talk" clip from Francis Ford Coppola's oeuvre. Which I would have taken as an propitious omen, except I'd already given the green-light to the graphic artist. But, in a sense, the General is right. Holding our position is not an option: "L'audace! L'audace! Toujours l'audace!"

Hey, if you can't take inspiration from quoting George C. Scott quoting George S. Patton quoting Frederick the Great, where are you going to find it, really? [insert sarcastic eyeroll]