Sunday, April 20, 2008

Battery rechargers

I'm rebuilding a Windows XP workstation, triaging the hard drive content before wiping it. In the process, I found something I wrote going on three years ago. A friend had used the phrase "recharge my spiritual batteries," which prompted me to consider what things do that for me. At the time, the list--in no particular order--consisted of:
  • To learn something new and worth knowing
  • To fall asleep and/or wake up in Dearest's arms
  • To create something from scratch, or even completely ex nihilo
  • To earn the trust of someone or something gentle
  • To touch history
  • To fight a worthwhile battle, win or lose
  • To experience art created with both skill and passion.
  • To have a wide space of quiet time in which to think, dream and reflect
  • To do something good for someone and slip away before they realize that it's been done or who did it
  • To behold Nature's "bijoux": Spiderwebs, seashells, sheets of wild honeycomb, baby finches, etc.
None of that's much changed, two-years-and-change since. Although now I find myself more appreciative of friendship--and working a little more diligently to cultivate the perennials rather than indiscriminately sow flashy annuals. (Hokey metaphor, that, but you get the idea.)