Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Uh-oh

It seems that the TB vaccines don't carry the same punch anymore, according to this article from The Toronto Star. This hit my radar because my partner and I (foolishly) bought a batch of finches from a friend-of-a-friend several years ago, and two birds died from TB. The only mercy was that the they did it pretty quickly, before infecting the rest of the flock. But my Dearest, being their primary handler, took the precaution of being tested, and came up clean.

I wonder if that means that we'll all have to be re-inoculated in a few years. I remember having my arm popped with the "gun" in kindergarten, which wasn't too bad. (I dread shots, although I do manage not to make quite the fuss of olden days when I have to grit my teeth through one.) All the same, it beats TB any day. I've been blessed with a decent arsenal of immunity so far in life, but I'd rather not double-dog-dare something that scary.