Friday, March 16, 2007

Tick and Tock

Sheesh--you'd think I'm still 18 or something. Spring Break ends on Sunday, and am I done with my homework? Do you think I'd feel as if I've accomplished much of anything this past week? Do I even consider myself that much the better for seven days' respite? No to all of the above. Sigh.

But I'm overstating the case. There are several ways in which I'm further ahead than I was last Friday. Among other things, I spent a few hours on the phone with my best friend (which I haven't done in a shamefully long time), made my last will and testament "official", went to my first LUG meeting in months, and made some traction on two long-range goals. But it certainly doesn't seem like a week's worth.

My most accomplished globe-trotting friend would be appalled at me for 'fessing this, but I'd dearly love to take a vacation that didn't involve leaving home. (Nobody rat me out, please: The poor guy just might swoon.) But, instead, I'm banking hours for the trip that my Dearest and I have been talking about for years and years. I'm also using it as a rationale for tightening my own purse strings. I find that it's bad for me when I can buy something without thinking about it, and without using it as a carrot for some accomplishment. Even small fritterings--a book here, a Murano glass pen there--add up. So it's good to remind myself of the prodigious thud that double air fair and two weeks of lodging will make when they hit the bottom line of the American Express statement several months hence. [wry expression]

Enough worry-warting. I started out this post complaining about being 18 again, and here I am fussing like a little old pensioner after mere paragraphs. Time to return to my regularly scheduled middle age. Happy weekend, all.