Monday, December 17, 2007

Another reason to diet

So I scratched soda nearly 100% from the menu--I think I've had two cans in six months, maybe even longer than that. Now corn oil and corn syrup products will be drastically cut back. (Fortunately, I wasn't looking at corn-based alternative fuels because they just aren't efficient.) Here's why: http://www.thestar.com/News/article/286357

Biologically, your senses of smell and taste are supposed to diminish as you age. But I'm instead finding that my palate is turning into a right snob. So I'm having a hard time feeling particularly virtuous about ditching the dumbed-down, hyper-hydrogenated, cloying concoctions that pass for nourishment in our franchised food wasteland. But if I arrive at the office door and my body is surprised that it's already climbed three floors of stairs, that's All Good.

Not that I expect to be down to my college weight anytime soon. Dearest and I are far too fond of wine with dinner, real butter, sour cream, red meat, etc. for me to be in much danger of that. But hacking back the calories that are as tasteless as they are useless (and, apparently, environmentally devastating) isn't the worst thing I could do for my body--or the world at large.