Monday, May 21, 2007

Ghosts

I read Gilbert's "Nuremberg Diaries" back-to-back with Speer's "Spandau Diaries" six or seven years ago. I wish I'd gone back to them in 2003 to be reminded of this gem from the Nazi who cheated the hangman (a.k.a. Hermann Goering):

"...voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."


Excepting the hard-core Republican Guard, my gut says that Joe Sixpack has largely arrived at the same conclusion.

As Dearest and I were on the road last week, I wondered aloud whether the Democratic Party (and any moderate Republicans who haven't been driven out for the heresy of using the padding between their ears) had dropped the proverbial ball on scrutizing the book-cooking for the Iraq War...or whether the case for impeachment was being built with quiet, but devastating thoroughness, leaving no 'i' undotted nor 't' uncrossed.

As much as I want to see a trial that would make Nuremberg look like traffic court, the thought of how much damage Dick "Mr. Potter" Cheney (avec eminence grise Karl "the Kingmaker" Rove whispering in his ear) could do before January 2009 nearly gives me a facial tic.

(Granted, it's not much to choose from, between malice and stupidity. But stupidity may be, ever so slightly, the lesser of the twin evils.)
...

There will be another, more personal post later in the week. I've let finals and other obligations drive my priorities these past few weeks. Including the "priority" of distilling some very convoluted emotions into words.